Tuesday 11 September 2012

Merchants of Spice, Norwich

We stumbled upon Merchants of Spice when we were looking to organise a work night out. It wasn't somewhere I had ever heard anyone talk about which isn't usually a positive sign, but the menu looked good. The website boasted of 'Fine Indian Dining' which I often find with Indian restaurants isn't more than a hot towel before you leave, so I wasn't too sure what to expect.

I booked for a group of 6 on a Saturday night and the restaurant was full when we were seated to eat at 8.30pm. The first thing I noticed about Merchants of Spice was that the décor was much nicer than the usual run of the mill Indian in Norwich; wooden floors and high backed cream dining chairs in an elegantly decorated room. I had previously tweeted to check that they could cater for my gluten free requirements and I was assured there were plenty of options. The waiters were extremely attentive and checked my options to ensure they were suitable. The dishes you would find at most Indian restaurants up and down the country were extremely reasonable ranging from between £6.95 and £8.95. Even their signature dishes such as Rabbit Bhuna and Crab Curry were only £12.95. My girlfriend and I shared a Goan Green Chicken Curry and a Lamb Korai. Both were perfectly cooked with soft tender meat, the green curry fresh with coriander and chilli and the Korai packed with ginger, garlic and warming spices. We had sides of Pilau Rice and Tarka Dall which were equally well cooked, seasoned and flavoured. 

Goan Green Chicken Curry
Lamb Korai
Pilau Rice
Fine dining might be a stretch (although we did get that complimentary hot towel!), but a tasty, reasonably priced Indian meal in a well decorated restaurant certainly fits the bill. There wasn't a grumble between the 6 of us. I had previously reviewed Passage to India in Norwich on my blog, but I think Merchants of Spice pips it to the post. The food is of a similar standard but Merchants of Spice creates a better atmosphere and I would be much more likely to return.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked it here too. I was expecting the cost to be on the high side, so it was a nice suprise when we saw the prices. As you mentioned the menu was quite varied to, rather than just the usual lamb,chicken and veggie options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Missy Vintage! Hope the blog is going strong. Yes, was definitely a nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried at namaste Village / india ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely love it there! I wish they would do their bhajis gluten free though, I think they are fried in the same fryer as other products

      Delete